“Comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host, then a master. And then it becomes a tamer, and with a hook and whip it makes puppets of your larger desires.”
— Kahlil Gibran, Poet, Visual Artist
Years ago, Tom Brokaw wrote a book called The Greatest Generation about my parents and all those who grew up during the Great Depression and fought in WWII. I never read it because, frankly, I already know the Greatest Generation.
- I know they endured a suffering we’ve never known during the Great Depression.
- I know that most of them were God-fearing and fiercely loyal to their country.
- I know that they took whatever work they could find, and were grateful.
- I know that they were net-savers, and never bought what they couldn’t afford.
- I know that Family, God and Country trumped self-interest.
- I know that they were a people of strong moral character and integrity.
- I know that they did business on a handshake and seldom locked their doors.
- I know that they saved the world and then handed the torch to us…
- I know that we grew up in comfort and took it all for granted.
- I know that we turned God-fearing into a salad bar of feel-good-isms!
- I know that we turned loyalty into resentment; and patriotism into extremism!
- I know that we turned modesty into blind ambition and bigger into better!
- I know that we put self-interest before the good of our country!
- I know that we’ve turned education into indoctrination.
- I know that our daughters dress like hookers.
- I know that our sons don’t know or care about the Founders!
- I know, as they will know, that we’ve squandered our inheritance…
Yeah, I guess I would be far more inclined to read a book about The Baby Boomers…not so much for the how, but to try to understand the WHY? Then again, perhaps Gibran was right all along…We knew better than God, and became the puppets of our own desires!
In any case, it’s awfully hard to argue the numbers…http://www.zerohedge.com/news/charting-legacy-baby-boomers
And we can kick cans with the best of ‘em…down the Road to Perdition!