The train had barely left the tracks in the latest derailment tragedy before the old tired and familiar voice crept up to the microphone to blame Republicans and demand more money…for “infrastructure”! Well, I can give you 189 TRILLION reasons to say NO! But before I do, perhaps it would be smart to revisit the purpose of the entity (our Federal Government) we would be making the check out to…
I went to the web and plucked the first 3 responses to my purpose-of-government search:
- The fundamental purpose of government is the maintenance of basic security and public order.
- Many political theorists feel that the primary purpose of government is to protect its citizens, both from one another and from outside attack.
- The 6 reasons straight from the Preamble of our Constitution are:
- To form a more perfect union (to join together the colonies)
- To establish justice (define and protect the rule of law)
- To insure domestic tranquility (to prevent conflicts within or between the states)
- To provide for the common defense (a united power opposing any attacks)
- To promote the general welfare (human rights and a stable society)
- To secure the blessings of liberty (insure that the concept of freedom endures)
Now if you hired me to manage your family business, a business that had thrived for generations staying true to the purposes defined above, and then come to find one day that you’ve paid me 189 TRILLION DOLLARS already in the first 4 months of 2015…for an (F-) Public Education system, a Healthcare System in complete chaos, rioting in our cities, and ISIS on our soil? What would you do? You would convene a Family Board Meeting, assess my performance and fire me on the spot, and most likely sue for damages in a court of law (and probably win) unless you happen to be insane…or powerless serfs!
Of course my hypothetical is predicated on a sane world, and sadly our reality is anything but. In this world we have turned respect and dignity into a “Global Joke”. We’ve allowed the crucial watchdog to become the Partisan Hack. We’ve permitted the “protector” of the rule of law to become the Thief. And worst of all, we’ve stood by as the “securer” of our Liberty has turned the 10 Commandments of our Creator into the “10,000 Commandments” of the State and become the Violator and Kidnapper of our children and our Liberty!
It’s not that we don’t recognize the need to invest in our infrastructure. It’s that we don’t want to give another penny to the out-of-control run-away-train-government that has proven it cannot be trusted! I am ashamed of this government, but I am far more ashamed of my family, friends and neighbors who continue their cowardly silence in the face of a monster that grows more powerful by the day!
Perfect union, domestic tranquility, general welfare and blessings of liberty??? We’ve none of these things! We’re divided, at each other’s throats and dependent on the insatiable beast that has gorged itself on our liberties, turned on the very society that created it, and set the rest of the world ablaze! To see it any other way is pure delusion… #WakeUpAmerica! #StarvetheBeast!
And though the past has its share of injustice
Kind was the spirit in many a way
But its protectors and friends have been sleeping
Now it’s a monster and will not obey…
America, where are you now
Don’t you care about your sons and daughters
Don’t you know we need you now
We can’t fight alone against the monster. ~ Steppenwolf 1969